Thursday, September 20, 2007

Counting Coins

Note: The advantage of using actual coins instead of the “play coins” when introducing and learning how to count coins is that the children can actually identify the coins by their real size, weight, color and shape. The play coins are very deceiving. They are larger, lighter, and thicker.

I ask my students to bring to class coins in these different denominations and they are to put each set of coins in separate ziplock, and label each with their name:

4 quarters = $1.00
10 dimes = $ 1.00
20 nickels = $ 1.00
100 pennies = $ 1.00

Procedure:
Show me a quarter. Give me the amount.
Do the same with the other coins.
Put on your table a quarter, a nickel, and a penny. Count them and give me the amount.
Using your dimes and nickels, show me thirty-five cents.
Using the combinations of pennies, dimes and nickels show me 45 cents.
Make different combinations with the coins and let the children count them and give the amount.
Write the amount that the children give you on the blackboard so they can learn how to write the amount as well.

No comments: